Friday, September 17, 2010

The former Mr. Kardashian gives back Heisman..

Another topic, an issue for many that has both viewpoints vehemently being defended by the supporters of Reggie and those who are against him.
First athletes get scholarships--let us just talk about football.( Baseball, golf, track and field give partial scholarships--another topic)
The athletes get free tuition, room and board plus books. Alabama can cost as much as 25 thousand for those out of staters
You hear Barkley talking smack about how he got paid while attending Auburn

"If a guy wants to borrow money from an agent because he's poor, what is wrong with that?" Barkley said. "Nobody can tell me what is wrong with that. I got money from agents when I was in college and I went in the '80s. Most of the players I know borrowed money from agents. The colleges don't give us anything. If they give us a pair of sneakers, they get in trouble. Why can't an agent lend me some money and I'll pay him back when I graduate?"

He makes a point but for the wrong reasons. He is making it a racial issue as usual.
Even if you disagree with the NCAA's by-laws on student-athletes receiving money from an agent, it is a rule and must be followed.
I think that the NCAA should give football players between three and five hundred dollars a month for spending. Teach them how to save, open savings account, put in cd/savings bonds--NCAA can fork up the money to hire someone to teach these young men about finances.
Becoming a self-sufficient, responsible young man can only magnify their profile as well as enhance the NCAA's and university's image.

No comments:

Post a Comment